LOOKING BACK AT 17 YEARS OF MINISTRY – Prior to 1995, Spirit West Coast as a ministry and organization did not exist. In late 1995, five couples formed a non-profit ministry organization with an intention to move forward by faith and present a Christian music festival at Laguna Seca in the summer of 1997. At the time of conception the new organization had zero money and a very small group of people enlisted to “make it happen”. It was obvious from the beginning that God had his hand on the ministry.
1997 year # 1 – Over 10,000 people gathered at Laguna Seca in Monterey to experience the first Spirit West Coast August 1-3. For most of those in attendance, including the staff, it was the first Christian music festival they had ever attended. Miraculously, the event did not lose money and many were impacted spiritually. SWC has never been in debt and has never had to borrow money.
What has been accomplished through the unique ministry of Spirit West Coast?
1. There have been 23 festival’s since 1997; 15 in Monterey and 8 in Del Mar.
2. Well over 250,000 people have passed through the gates to not only experience strengthened relationships with friends and family but, more importantly, the life-changing Gospel of Jesus Christ.
3. Over 10,000 people have made first-time salvation decisions and recommitments…10,000! God does great things when His people come together.
4. Over 11,000 children have been sponsored through Compassion International; not just a push-back on poverty but also instigating spiritual new-births in countries around the world.
5. Thousands of festival friends and believers in the cause have personally engaged in serving to make SWC happen, experiencing a sense of ministry accomplishment and unique spiritual purpose.
Southern California 2004 – After the 2002 Monterey festival, with a growing desire to spiritually impact people from greater distances including Arizona and Southern Nevada, the SWC leadership team felt led to present a similar festival in Southern California. The search for a property began and on Memorial Day weekend 2004 the first ever SWC Del Mar was presented at the Del Mar Fairgrounds in San Diego County. The Del Mar festivals would have equal impact to the Monterey events in all aspects and measurements of success including spiritually.
Volunteers – It takes 800-900 adult volunteers working in 40 different areas of service to make each festival fully functional. Dozens, if not hundreds, faithfully return year after year to give of themselves so others may receive.
Speakers – Many well-know, evangelical Christian speakers/teachers have participated in ministering at Spirit West Coast including: Charles Stanley, Luis Palau, Greg Laurie, Ron Luce, Louie Giglio, and Nick Vujicic.
Transitioning 2013 and beyond – Entering 2013, SWC is transitioning in several ways to adapt to the many cultural, economic and entertainment/media/ministry changes which have occurred since the ministry began 17 years earlier. One significant aspect of the ministry’s transition is a change in the business model to a partially donor-funded source of revenue.
PURPOSE…the same today is in 1997 – to compliment The Church in fulfilling the GREAT COMMISSION according to Matthew 28. The ongoing ministry results of SWC, including the most recent spiritual harvest of 2012’s Del Mar festival, confirms that Spirit West Coast is a vital evangelistic ministry of eternal purpose.
Information about the 2013 Monterey festival is available at: spiritwestcoast.org
Thankfully and joyfully in Him,
Producer/Founder – Spirit West Coast festivals
SWC is a tax deductible, non-profit ministry.